Pin Debit was so easy prior to EMV
Today with EMV being issued on credit and debit cards, merchants need to be aware. In the past pin debit was simple to use. To process a pin transaction prior to EMV, select debit, swipe and the customer enters their pin. Today with EMV pin debit there are few extra steps.
The key to running pin debit on chip enabled cards (upwards of 70% cards issued) is to pay attention. Be attentive to the transactions running at your business. There are extra steps with EMV debit cards. US Debit must be selected, otherwise, the transaction runs on the card brand network.
EMV Pin Debit run through the US Debit Network
- Ensure you are set up to accept pin debit EMV transactions.
- Select debit under the sale menu
- Enter the amount of the sale
- Choose US Debit for pin entry (the Debit Networks for processing).
- Have the customer enter their pin number through the secure device
- Transaction authorizes
- Provide customer receipt
If one is unable to have a customer enter a pin number, changes need to be made. To accept pin debit transactions with EMV or pin debit without chip, contact your merchant services provider.
To run the debit card through the Visa, MasterCard networks, select the card association name (Visa Debit).
Pin Debit EMV transactions, may be require an upgrade or purchase of additional equipment? The upgrade may be worth it?!
Possible Upgrade Reasons:
- There is no EMV slot to accept EMV Pin Debit
- Terminal can accept EMV pin Debit, however, the terminal needs to be encrypted
- Credit Card Terminal is encrypted to another credit card processing network
A couple of popular devices for EMV Pin Debit:
If you need assistance, give us a call 877-651-1655. We are happy to provide you with numbers on how pin debit can save you money or not.